Pinkies of Peril

After posting about my tiny pinkies on Facebook post (the post involved me wanting to be a best-selling author, Dave mentioning that van Gogh wasn’t famous till after he died, Amy suggesting I cut my pinkies off, me saying I can’t cut off my Pinkies of Peril and insisting there was a funny story there) Amy come up with the brilliant idea to blog about my stunning pinkie fingers and thus a legend is born!

*cue angelic music*

Okay, so I was born with tiny pinkies. On both hands. Take a gander at the picture above and compare it with your own hand. Chances are, your pinky goes to your second knuckle. Now, my pinkie finger itself isn’t the short part. It’s actually the metacarpal bones (in the hand) that are short.

In typing class in high school, I couldn’t type like normal. My poor teacher had no idea what to do with me so she just told me to figure out my own way. And I did. So my typing involved all fingers except the pinkies. And it also really sucks trying to play Rock Band 🙂

Believe it or not, I found someone in my biology lab class this semester has the exact same thing as me!!! Color my totally surprised! In all my life, I’ve never met anyone with this same thing. Never. So I now have a finger twin! SQUEEEEEEE!

I had been calling my pinkies “Power Pinkies” for the longest time. I’d stick those tiny little suckers out and dare anyone to mess with me cuz me and my “Power Pinkies” would open a can of whoop ass! *cue karate music*

While at my sister’s house this last weekend, I told my family the story of my pinkie twin and how I should come up with a short story based on our “Power Pinkies”. My sister Bree blurted out “Or you could call them “Pinkies of Peril”

HAHAHAHAHA!!! *crying laughing*

Now THAT name is even better than “Power Pinkies”!!!!

Any child of the 80’s remembers that little epic flick called The Goonies. I have lost count of the number of times I have actually watched this movie. It’s gotta be up there in the thousands.

My favorite parts were Data’s inventions. As a scientist, I can totally relate to this character and his brainy-ness. One of his many contraptions secreted on his body was called the Pinchers of Peril which he cleverly uses to escape from being skewered on sharp stakes at the bottom of a giant hole in the ground.

As soon as my sister said the name “Pinkies of Peril”, I knew that I would have to retire the name “Power Pinkies” forever.

But that’s okay. Sometimes super heroes have to take on new names as they grow and mature (okay that’s totally not true but just go with it) so I am perfectly okay calling my names “Pinkies of Peril” from now on 🙂

Tags: , , , , ,

78 Comments on “Pinkies of Peril”

1. Amy Rose Davis November 17, 2011 at 5:47 pm #

I’m in awe of your Pinkies of Peril. I shall never mess with you or your pinkie twin! 🙂

2. MelCena Bernard December 25, 2011 at 5:56 am #

I too have the little guys on the both hands. Does it seem there are no knuckles as well, just a joint? Your hand picture could have been mine.

• shayfabbro December 25, 2011 at 9:09 am #

Yes!!! LOL When I make a fist people really giggle 😀

• Danielle Hyland February 19, 2014 at 6:03 am #

I also have small pinkies with no knuckles !! 😀

• drshaywest February 19, 2014 at 12:49 pm #

More pinkie twins!!!!!!!!!! 😀

• Angela March 23, 2016 at 5:41 am #

Me too!!!!!

3. Adilene January 23, 2012 at 12:59 am #

OMG I have short pinkies too!!! And I’ve also figured out that it’s not my actual pinky finger that’s short it’s just the metacarpal bone! When I make a fist it looks as if I don’t have a pinky knuckle, it looks somewhat dented or dipped in, in the knuckle area but if you touch and feel around the area (in fist form) you can still feel a knuckle!! I have been searching high and low all over online for a reason on why my pinkies are short but every article I came across showed reasons for the actual pinky itself not the metacarpal bone and those reasons were scary! (pinky shortness could be a symptom of autism, downsyndrom or some gluten disease).. I’m so happy to know I am not the only one that has short metacarpals (not actual pinkies) I love em I think they’re cute =)

• shayfabbro January 23, 2012 at 8:56 am #

Hello fellow pinkie of peril sister!!!!! *waves*

My mom always said my pinkies are short because the cells traveled to my brain and settled in as nerve cells and that’s why I was so smart! LOL My docs have always said it’s no big deal, that the metacarpal bone simply didn’t grow as long. Not harmful in any way, except that I can’t type correctly or play Rock Band very well…HA!

• Jessie Ferrell April 28, 2013 at 7:28 pm #

I also have small pinkies, exactly the same as some of you ladies! I always thought I was the only one, never heard of anyone else with small pinkies like mine!
      *My hands look very similar to your photo, no real knuckle (from a very short metacarpal bone), when I make a fist it looks very odd. My pinkies only come to my first knuckle on my ring finger. But I can’t hold my hand out flat and put all my fingers together, my pinkie sticks out. I have to slightly cup my hand to make my pinkie finger line up and touch my ring finger.
      I’ve read the other research about autism, celiac desease, or poor communication skills. I have not experienced any of these issues. I’ve asked a few doctors through the years just out of curiosity, and no real explanation. I’m 37, but when I was in collage (feels like 100 years ago) a science professor was lecturing about how humans would continue to evolve; taller, less hair, skull shape, and loosing the pinkie fingers and pinkie toes. Saying the pinkies would be smaller in more evolved future humans.
      Naturally, I spoke up and said “Like Mine!” He came over and was thoroughly amazed by my odd hands. SO that’s the best explanation I’ve come across. 😉

• shayfabbro April 29, 2013 at 1:51 pm #

Hooray for another pinkie twin! We should totally have a convention or something 😉

• angela August 19, 2015 at 7:17 am #

I also have short pinkies and no pinkie knuckles. I cannot put my hand out flat and put my fingers together. The little pinkies stick out. I decide to google info and came across this thread. Its nice to know I’m not alone with my little pinkies, I’m totally up for the little pinkie convention.

4. alle June 16, 2012 at 2:41 pm #

believe it or not, but i randomly found this post of yours.my pinkies are just like yours!!!! u r the first one who also doesn t have the knuckle at both pinkies. so ours ..is it a clinical malformation?i always felt kinda different at school too!

• shayfabbro June 16, 2012 at 5:35 pm #

Another pinkie sister!!!! 😀 My knuckle is way down since the metacarpal bone is too short 😀

5. Robyn August 5, 2012 at 2:03 pm #

Have you read about palmistry?.There you have explanation about low set pinky fingers.My hand looks exactly like yours,and it’s related to bad communication skills.

6. Amanda Panda August 20, 2012 at 1:52 am #

I know this post is older, but I found it through my search about tiny pinkies. My hands look so much like yours! Glad to have others with pinkies of peril! Playing the flute in grade school was a nightmare..

• shayfabbro August 20, 2012 at 7:41 am #

Pinkies of Peril RULES!

I can picture the frustration of trying to play a musical instrument! Typing was my nemesis 😉

7. JC September 13, 2012 at 1:24 am #

It took me years after college to realize that I have short pinkies and like a flash of lightening, I suddenly understood why all the years of playing viola I had a hard time reaching those notes! (in fact, as I got older, I would cheat and shift if I could). Should have stuck with the trumpet. LOL., So glad to know I am not the only person with short pinkies.

• shayfabbro September 13, 2012 at 7:46 am #

Hello fellow pinky twin!! *waves* I can imagine your frustration! I feel that way when I try to do Rock Band 😀

• Yvonne September 19, 2012 at 12:16 am #

I have a tiny pinky only on my right side. Sometimes it does start to hurt.. Mostly if its a cold day. And I always thought I was missing a knuckle. But now after reading this post it’s normal and it is there. All my friends laugh at my pinky since its so small. I absolutely hate it! Lol I wish I could fix it. Do you ever get soreness\random pains in the pinky?

• shayfabbro September 19, 2012 at 7:39 am #

I don’t have pains in mine. They are just like normal fingers, but much smaller 😀 Have you been to a doctor about the pain??

• jaida April 8, 2015 at 3:20 pm #

Yeah. Both of my hands hurt. And they don’t look normal like the lady who posted the blog. I’m not sure if mine have knuckles or not. But they don’t lay against my ring finger. I have carpool tunnel in both arms and my pinkies hurt too :^/

• jaida April 8, 2015 at 3:21 pm #

I meant to reply to you but it posted as a comment insted..

8. Val A. July 16, 2013 at 8:01 pm #

My pinkies are the same! I always wondered the cause! My typing teacher would tell me to use the right fingers. All I could think is they don’t reach. I have a little bit of a bigger gap between my pinky and ring finger than you. I love to freak people out with it. I always get asked, “What happened?” I respond with I was born…

• drshaywest July 17, 2013 at 10:31 am #

Is there anyone else in your family that has this? I’m the only one in mine. 😀

9. fran October 23, 2013 at 9:13 am #

omg same i had never met anyone with this before and people would always take the mick about how short my little fingers were and i found out just today that my knuckle had stopped growing there

• drshaywest October 23, 2013 at 10:01 am #

It’s always nice to meet a short pinkie twin 😀

10. oldbutimnotthatold December 9, 2013 at 7:11 pm #

Mine are the same too! I seriously can’t believe I’ve read so many examples of people with the same thing; I’ve been looking for just one other person to not feel so different and now I feel like a member of a very special group! And I’m also guilty of getting my pinkies out and doing the exact same thing, stating they were the source of my Master status in martial arts- which of course is completly fictional! My hands are particularly weird because I also have two clubbed thumbs too and I’ve inherited my mum’s tiny hands so they stand out a whole lot more; I remember my friends at school commenting on my freak pinkies and my flat, stubby thumbs a million times a day- you’d think it would get old but apparantly not! Thanks so much for sharing, I feel like I belong now haha! =D

• drshaywest December 9, 2013 at 7:32 pm #

Woohoo!!! Tiny Pinkies group 😀

11. Mary January 7, 2014 at 1:04 pm #

Omg. I am so excited not to be the only one. I found out randomly in middle school. no one had ever looked that close and it was how id always been so I didnt know. Was really frustrating in school trying to play those stupid recorders. But my biggest problem is finding gloves. My friends all think my pinkies are cute n its a funny conversation wen it comes up, but does it ever make you guys feel self-concsies? Because I find myself hiding them around new people.

• drshaywest January 7, 2014 at 3:50 pm #

It used to make me self-conscious when I was younger but not anymore. I always had trouble typing! And the glove thing literally made me lough out loud. The pinkie finger of the glove folds down so far it almost looks like you don’t even have a finger! 😀

12. Danelle Hauth April 22, 2014 at 12:08 am #

Omg, I don’t feel alone any more to know that there is more then just me out there with short pinkies. I like to show mine off at parties. It always get people looking and checking out their own hands. I agree we need to find someone who will make us gloves.

• drshaywest April 22, 2014 at 6:44 am #

Right??? My students get a kick out if it. I usually use them as an extra credit question and ask which specific bone is too short LOL

• corgigrrl November 10, 2016 at 10:39 pm #

Two years late to the pinky party here but every winter it IS hard to find nice gloves!
      I feel bad sometimes I can’t wear the nice leather driving gloves.
      My thumb is too stumpy, my hand is too wide & my pinkies only go in the pinky slot a little ways. The stretchy kind work to keep your hands warm but aren’t good for shoveling!

• drshaywest November 16, 2016 at 11:47 am #

The glove thing! Grrr! lol I have a nice pair of Isotoners but my pinkie doesn’t come close to going all the way to the end LOL

13. Daniel May 28, 2014 at 7:00 pm #

This is awesome I am high functioning autistic / aspergers so I can do math on my finger not 1-10 but using my fingers like data sheets photographing a number on one then multiplying on others and adding to the main finger but don’t know how to put my working out to paper, also in science was very good at but not writing my science teacher said my joints could not function without a knuckle so I showed with my pinkies with no knuckles and asked him to explain I which he just moved on rather abruptly.

As my dad said those who can’t do teach I have others out there like me awesome p.s I’m a male not a sister lol 😀

14. Daniel May 28, 2014 at 7:05 pm #

Awesome Danielle I do the same makes people confused, also I can only talk to people I know or when I’m wasted, or a computer screen due to people just make me uncomfortable

15. Melissa October 5, 2014 at 1:04 pm #

I too have small pinkies on both hands. They have been named Inkie Dinkie Pinkies 🙂

16. lexi rhiannon January 2, 2015 at 1:43 pm #

Look up brachydactyly. That’s what I have and I also have tiny pinkies(:

17. Bethany January 31, 2015 at 12:09 pm #

It’s great to find more folks with baby pinkies! No knuckles on either pinkie here either!!! My pinkies won’t lay next to my ring fingers either, they hang off to the side kinda like how thumbs lay further out 😳

• drshaywest February 1, 2015 at 8:35 am #

My pinkies do that too!! LOL

• jaida April 8, 2015 at 3:04 pm #

mine sort of do this as well. Won’t touch my ring finger.

18. jaida April 8, 2015 at 3:02 pm #

Omg! I have little pinkies too and I’m trying to do research about why and I came across this. I cannot wait to find my pinkie power buddy. my baby pinkies are all alone lol

19. jaida April 8, 2015 at 3:24 pm #

Is it nothing but woman? ??

• drshaywest April 8, 2015 at 3:27 pm #

Seems like only girls have posted thus far! I wonder if it is?? LOL

20. Diane April 14, 2015 at 9:09 pm #

I found your blog because I was searching for more info about Braly’s Sign, which is supposed to be a possible indicator of celiac disease or autoimmune disease in general (I have Hashimoto’s). My pinkies are short but not extremely like yours. Supposedly 85% of celiacs have short pinkies (but they don’t need to be as short as yours). Look it up and you’ll see what I’m reading, along with photos to explain!

21. Jasmine Chana April 26, 2015 at 6:05 am #

HEYA!

I’m only 18, and my pinkies are small too – exactly the same as yours. Not many people notice it – and i had to stop playing the violin because my pinky couldn’t reach the strings 🙂 I also have difficulties playing the guitar especially with chords that require all four fingers – nevertheless, I love that my pinky’s are different. It seems cool :3 Most people who i show my fingers too find it really fascinating. Because of my pinky’s being so short, i tend to bang them into things a little more than usual, i also don’t hold my smart phone with my pinkies, but with my ring fingers instead (obviously because they’re too short :p ) x

And yes, this is strange that only girls have this.

• drshaywest April 30, 2015 at 1:43 pm #

Yay, another finger twin! 😀 The thing that gets to me is wearing gardening gloves and having the pinkie stand straight up even though my hand is in a fist LOL

22. Katina June 3, 2015 at 3:49 pm #

The glove comment is hilarious. I have the same issue. Gloves just look ridiculous on me. I thought I was the only one until I found this. And all of you 🙂

23. Tiffany December 16, 2015 at 10:02 pm #

I am soooo happy to read this as I too have short little pinkies haha I also have 2 complety different thumbs. You know the kind that look like a big toe? Yep I got only one. The other is normal. I’m thinking about trying out for hand modeling ;D

24. leah January 15, 2016 at 4:16 pm #

I have a small pinkie and no knuckle

25. tracyperry82 March 22, 2016 at 8:54 pm #

Me too. Set low on my hand, no knuckle (or well, the dimple) and it sticks off to the side. I have to slant the rest of my hand to make contact with my pinky. I really wish I knew what it was all about. Nice to know I’m not alone.So strange how so many people have this, yet there is no solid explanation online anywhere. Glad I found this post 🙂

• Karen May 18, 2016 at 10:29 pm #

Yep. Low set pinkies, dimple knuckle, short metacarpal bone. I have it too. An inherited gene (look up Brachydactyly – type E1) is probably what causes the short pinkies, so says a doctor I asked while he was looking at an X-ray of my hand. It can also affect the thumb and in rare cases, all of the fingers. Toes too. My 4-knuckle punch in Tae Kwon Do was a 3-knuckle. Ditto to all of the comments above concerning typing, playing instruments and the gloves. Totally relate.

• corgigrrl November 10, 2016 at 10:27 pm #

That describes my hands exactly!! Are your thumb & big toe really short too? I was wondering why, that’s how I came across this page.
      I have 2 children, a boy & a girl & both have normal fingers. So if it’s hereditary, it must be 1 of those complicated gene things.

• drshaywest November 16, 2016 at 11:46 am #

Mine seem to be normal size LOL Just the really short metacarpal bones of the pinkies. I’m the only one in my family (including aunts, uncles, and cousins) that has it 😀

26. erinpurple June 18, 2016 at 6:18 am #

Are you Maltese

• drshaywest June 22, 2016 at 3:26 pm #

No, I’m French, Bulgarian, Native American, plus some others in there I’m sure 😀

27. James Karma June 22, 2016 at 5:00 pm #

HEY! I was finally looking for reasons as to why my left pinky was basically missing the knuckle, and I found this page among others. Apparently, in the womb, its speculated that blood circulation was cut off in a certain part or something BUT all it really means, is that ill be limited to more basic chords on guitar throughout my life and ill be a limited lead guitarist xD. Moral of the story, you’re not alone, and if yall find somebody who caused this and are grouping to take them out, hmu. 😛

• drshaywest June 22, 2016 at 5:02 pm #

It’s hilarious watching me try to play Rock Band LOL 😀

28. corgigrrl November 10, 2016 at 10:19 pm #

I’m 49 years old & just decided to Google possible reasons for my hands looking the way they do. The description that traceyperry82 above fits me to a tee! I would also add that my pinkies aren’t just much shorter, but smaller in scale than the other fingers. My thumb is super short & has a broad nail. My toes are the same except the pinky toes are like rounded lumps,( sounds worse than it is!) with my 2nd toes being longer than than the big toes.
    I was told they were that way because my birth mother had chemo for Hodgkin’s lymphoma. This can’t be true if others have the same thing. The next theory is horrible but someone else in my family told me it was hereditary due to inbreeding! My family was French Canadian, then spread to Vermont & NY. It was also suggested there was Native American blood mixed in which kills the inbreeding theory, thank goodness!

Whatever the reason, I could never type correctly & even my stepmother did not have sympathy when I showed her why I had to quit playing the flute. My pinky just couldn’t reach that last key on the end!!
    It sure is interesting to find others with the same issue & I’d appreciate any info anyone could provide. I don’t have any blood relatives left or I’ve lost contact with them. My children & I share several medical problems but their fingers are normal.

29. Jacquelyn Noonan November 15, 2016 at 9:12 pm #

Hi! It is nice to know there are others out there with ‘pinkies of peril’ lol! It is genetic on my Dad’s side of the family and my pinkies are slightly shorter than yours. I was always told that we Noonans were just missing a bone in our hand. Now I’m curious to get xrays! Thanks for sharing! =)

• drshaywest November 16, 2016 at 11:49 am #

You might be able to see if a bone is missing (unless it’s a carpal bone (tiny bones of the wrist). Your finger itself should have 3 bones and should bend in 3 places so if it does you have all those. And if you have the bone in the main part of your hand, then you’ve got the metacarpal bone. That’s the one that’s shorter than normal on me 😀

30. Tracy January 4, 2017 at 9:45 pm #

I also have this! I was bored one day and decided to google. I couldn’t believe when I saw you picture! Mine are the exact same! No one in my family has this, it has never bothered me and no one ever notices but I’ve always been curious. I wonder if it’s a rare genetic thing or if it’s developmental. Anyway, glad to have found this!

• drshaywest January 8, 2017 at 9:52 am #

The only thing my wee pinkies have problems with is filling out fingers of gloves and playing guitar LOL

31. Ryleigh March 6, 2017 at 3:26 pm #

I HAVE THE SAME THING!!! Are you missing the knuckle as well?

• drshaywest March 6, 2017 at 6:12 pm #

I have all my knuckles 😀 The metacarpal bone is just smaller than the other ones 😀

32. Max March 21, 2017 at 12:30 am #

Wow. Can’t believe so many others have this too. Crazy. Biggest pain lately is my pinky barely makes it onto the fingerprint scanner for Global Entry at the airport!

• drshaywest March 21, 2017 at 7:18 pm #

Yikes! And you must have the fingerless pinkie glove problem in winter too, eh?? LOL

• Max March 21, 2017 at 7:21 pm #

All gloves! I’m still amazed how many others have this. I just googled this last night as it’s been a curiosity ,out of my life.

33. Redd March 21, 2017 at 4:54 pm #

It’s so weird to me that most of you are musicians or artists, my mom played cello for 10 years, i have inherited the same little fingers from her

• drshaywest March 21, 2017 at 7:17 pm #

I’m definitely not a musician 😀 And I had to find my own way to type that doesn’t use my pinkies LOL

34. Joanna Baker July 10, 2017 at 11:54 am #

I have them too!! Woot 😍

• drshaywest August 14, 2017 at 6:51 pm #

Pinkie Twins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😀

35. Jenna October 2, 2017 at 11:53 pm #

I have the same pinky as you!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. The Versatile Blogger Award | Dr. Shay Fabbro: Author of Scifi and Fantasy - January 27, 2012

[…] cutest damn things ever.   3.  I have super short pinkies. You can see pics and read about them here.   4.  I also have a super tiny bladder. No, I don’t have a post or a picture for you to […]

2. Rock of Ages! | Dr. Shay Fabbro: Author of Scifi and Fantasy - May 25, 2012

[…] that we were rock stars. I had no flipping idea how to play and couldn’t even if I wanted to (I have super short pinkies). So I just had her take pictures of me and called it […]

3. Dancing Phalanges! | Dr. Shay West aka Dr. Shay Fabbro aka Dr. FAB! - November 7, 2012

[…] I also mention by odd affliction in which my metacarpals are shorter than they should be resulting in my pinky fingers only going to my first knuckle. You can read about it here […]