The Most Awesome Dream/Nightmare

I recently read an intriguing blog post about a dream a fellow author had. Well, a nightmare, really. I know a thing or two about bad dreams, having had night terrors (and just vivid dreams in general) since I was a kid. My parents have some pretty funny and interesting stories about various incidents of me sleepwalking πŸ˜‰ As well as freaking out and screaming in terror on more than one occasion… πŸ˜€

While reading Krystal’s blog, I was reminded of a very vivid dream I had that freaked me out for the longest time. I was in middle school, I think in 7th grade. The dream started out with me standing at a friend’s house. She lived near the Colorado National Monument which lies on the west side of town. To the east, the Grand Mesa rises from the floor of the Grand Valley. A slight breeze was blowing in the pre-dawn light. All of a sudden, I started floating off the ground, moving at a greater velocity as I moved higher. It didn’t take long for me to be able to see on the other side of the Grand Mesa and it was a barren wasteland. I looked up and the sun was black with lakes of fire running across the surface. Great gouts of liquid shot from the surface. As I watched, the sun grew larger in size and as it did, walls of searing hot flames engulfed everything on the surface. I woke up just before the fire arrived at my location.

This dream freaked me out! Very dark and scary, especially for a thirteen-year-old. It was one of those dreams I couldn’t shake…I kind of wish I had written more back then πŸ˜‰ I wondered if I wasn’t being shown a glimpse of what would happen when the world ended. Was I becoming prophetic? Was I supposed to know when this event was to occur? Was it going to happen the next day? Ten years? More? Should I tell someone? Was I supposed to warn people? Would they believe me even if I did? Again, pretty deep thoughts for a young girl πŸ˜‰

After awhile I forgot to think about the dream as often and I realized it was just a dream and not meant to be prophetic in any way. I admit, I was disappointed at first. It would have been nice to have a special power, some knowledge that others lacked, to be able to save the world (or at the very least those in the near vicinity). It would have been almost as if I was a super hero, but rather than being able to blow things up with a mere thought, or flying, I would use my knowledge. Kind of appropriate seeings how I was a nerd from the moment I was born πŸ˜‰

What dreams have you had, whether recently or many years ago, that had an impact whether good or bad? Dreams or nightmares that shook your world, made you question your purpose?

Tags: ,

10 Comments on “The Most Awesome Dream/Nightmare”

1. Rabia March 26, 2012 at 12:33 pm #

Mmm, the other night I dreamed I was being attacked by an ostrich.

But no, dreams don’t usually shake my (waking) world, though some of them are indicative of some kind of stress in my life.

• shayfabbro March 26, 2012 at 12:45 pm #

An ostrich?? LOL I don’t think I’ve ever been chased by a giant bird…maybe tonight?? πŸ˜‰

• Rabia March 26, 2012 at 12:47 pm #

An ostrich??

Yeah, that was my reaction, too, even in the dream. As in, “I can’t believe I’m being attacked by an ostrich! Where did it come from?” Because in my dream, I was trying to get out of a big building and suddenly–there was the ostrich. O.o!

• shayfabbro March 26, 2012 at 1:03 pm #

LOL That’s the most awesome part of strange dreams! The whole “How the heck did this get here?” I love waking up from those and wondering what strange neuronal connections fired to bring about such odd things being in my dreams!

2. Sherry Isaac March 26, 2012 at 2:59 pm #

Scary dream, Shay, and a terrible burden when you were a girl.

I can’t think of any dream I’ve had that changed my outlook or was otherwise profound. I do have a recurring dream that I need to run, but can’t run fast enough. My legs work, I’m not in danger, I just need to hurry and since my legs aren’t moving me fast enough, I’m using my arms, usually by pulling myself along on a railing. The emphasis is always on my forward movement, the lack of progression, rather than being chased, or moving from one specific point to another.

I believe the dream indicates control, or feeling a lack of control. There are some things in our family life that need to be settled. Nothing terrible, just a limbo pattern that needs to end. As for my career, I need to get moving, but at times feel stuck and question my progress.

Your post does remind me of a neato curious weird dream I had about ten years ago, but I’ll have to save that for a Psychological Sizzle post. Thanks for the inspiration!

• shayfabbro March 26, 2012 at 3:03 pm #

I hate those dreams where I can’t move fast enough when I need to. It totally makes sense that it is tied to control issues. I’m such a control freak! πŸ˜€

3. jodileastewart March 26, 2012 at 10:04 pm #

Very scary dream about the sun. I’m not sure it didn’t have meaning…perhaps for later? My recurring nightmare is one in which I’m driving a car and suddenly can’t see! It’s so frustrating and scary. I usually wake myself up, which I do in most bad dreams unless I’m screaming or crying and my husband shakes the living daylights out of me! So, you see…I get the nightmare thing.

4. krystalwade March 27, 2012 at 10:34 am #

Ahhh! I inspired you. That’s pretty awesome. Well, dreams are usually a reflection of our feelings. I still haven’t figured out the meaning of mine, but yours definitely seems like a lack of control on “life” like in general. πŸ˜‰ Very scary though..and vivid!

5. corajramos March 27, 2012 at 4:21 pm #

Hey, you don’t really know if you had an image of the end of the world–we haven’t gotten there yet. This is 2012; maybe you’ll know by Dec. 22. (Mayan Calendar end date Dec. 21, 2012) LOL

• shayfabbro March 27, 2012 at 7:47 pm #