Annular Eclipse of 2012

So being a total geek it’s no surprise that I am totally stoked about the annular eclipse happening across the globe today…and tomorrow if you happen to live in China…although for them they saw it this morning… *shakes head*

Anyway, the annular eclipse is a neat event and sort of the same a regular eclipse. Except that instead of the moon’s shadow completely covering the sun, the diameter is just a tad too small so there’s a bit of sun that rings the moon.

Thus, the ring of fire! πŸ˜€

***owner of blog is not responsible for people singing the Johnny Cash song of the same name***

Not everyone gets to see the ring of fire phenomena. What most of the world will see if only a partial eclipse. Only parts of Asia and the part of the western US will get to see this awesome treat.Β  Only the lower left corner of Colorado will get to see the ring of fire. But I was pretty okay with the partial eclipse. Which I got to see after church this Sunday evening.

The congregation was treated to a spectacular sight. As we left, the youth pastor and some of the younger members were staring at the wall of the church, pointing out the tiny eclipses made by the sun shining through the leaves of the trees.

Talk about COOL!!!!

No one had any of the special solar viewing glasses so we made due with pieces of paper with pin holes poked in it. Hubby and I walked to the car and I about DIED when I saw this:

The side of my car was covered in little eclipses!!!!

I admit I squealed like a little girl and I’m pretty sure I jumped up and down a few times before grabbing my phone and snapping this shot.

Have you ever seen any spectacular astronomical events? I’d love to hear from you!!!!!

Tags: , , , , , ,

13 Comments on “Annular Eclipse of 2012”

1. Serena Dracis, Author May 20, 2012 at 8:38 pm #

Love the little eclipses on your car! So cool!

• shayfabbro May 21, 2012 at 8:33 am #

It was such a magical thing to see. I might have to incorporate this into a novel someday! πŸ˜€

2. Lisa Nowak May 20, 2012 at 10:02 pm #

It was cloudy here in Portland (of course, after two weeks of great weather) so we missed it. Oddly, I didn’t even notice it getting dark and then light again.

• shayfabbro May 21, 2012 at 8:33 am #

We barely noticed it, probably because it was only a partial eclipse for us. There was only a small stretch of the US that was able to actually see the ring of fire.

3. Very, very cool!

4. gingercalem May 21, 2012 at 7:28 am #

Really cool! Love that you captured it on your car.

5. Sarah Penner May 21, 2012 at 7:29 am #

Actually got to see the eclipse yesterday. Normally it is too cloudy here for us to see anything cool. I made a frantic run around the city to try to find solar viewing glasses and had no luck. I was super bummed but a neighbor lent us a piece of welding glass so we were able to check it out! πŸ˜€ Amazing! So amazing!!

• shayfabbro May 21, 2012 at 8:34 am #

Hubby was bummed he didn’t bring his welding mask to church with us last night! ROFL

6. livrancourt May 21, 2012 at 8:00 am #

Your enthusiasm is inspiring. I’m not sure if the eclipse was visible from Seattle, it being cloudy and all, but thanks for posting about it.

• shayfabbro May 21, 2012 at 8:35 am #

The partial eclipse would have been if it hadn’t been cloudy. Not sure if you can still see it tonight

• livrancourt May 21, 2012 at 4:23 pm #

Heck, it’s cloudier today than it was yesterday.
        😦

7. Tami Clayton May 21, 2012 at 9:36 am #

The images on the side of your car are so cool! I would have squealed, too. πŸ™‚

• shayfabbro May 21, 2012 at 9:41 am #

I totally did! ROFLMAO But I am the kind of person that squeals at the little things. Life is good πŸ˜€