John Wayne on the Big Screen!

Last night my family and I had the opportunity to see John Wayne on the big screen at the historic Avalon Theater. Every Tuesday, the theater offers a deal: buy dinner at one of the downtown restaurants and see a movie for free. It’s a great way to boost the local economy and see a movie in an old style theater with velvety seats and a balcony.

I seriously LOVE the balcony πŸ˜€

Most of the time, the theater shows older movies like Jaws, Gremlins, Monty Python, etc. A lot of us have seen those movies but not on the big screen. When my sister, Bree, informed me that Rio Bravo would be playing at the Avalon, I knew we had to go.

And see if we could get my dad to join.

Dad is a huge John Wayne fan and us girls grew up with the Duke. I think between the three of us, we can recite every line to Rio Bravo. I have a lot of great memories watching John Wayne with my dadda πŸ™‚ Boog and I set out on a mission to get dad to come to the theater with us to see Rio Bravo. Now you have to understand something about my dad: the man gets up at the crack of dawn for work and is usually in bed by 8:00. Rio Bravo is over two hours so that meant that even if the movie started exactly on time, we wouldn’t be getting out of the theater until after 9:30.

Did we have what it takes to convince dad to stay out late on a work night??????

Of course πŸ˜‰

All we had to do was mention John Wayne, Rio Bravo, and say a couple lines from the movie and he was hooked. It was such a fun night! Here’s a couple of pictures of the evening for your enjoyment πŸ˜‰

Silly picture of me at the Avalon Theater

I was trying to get everyone in the picture but I was obviously way off. Geez, I look way excited, eh???

John Wayne and Dean Martin butts! πŸ˜€

“Can you see the picture of how she will look?”

Any of you out there John Wayne fans? What is your favorite movie by the Duke?

Tags: , , , , , , ,

7 Comments on “John Wayne on the Big Screen!”

1. eviesgran March 20, 2013 at 11:07 am #

I remember seeing this film at the cinema many many years ago. It wasn’t John Wayne I was there for it was the beautiful Ricky Nelson…….

• shayfabbro March 20, 2013 at 11:10 am #

LOL He is quite delightful isn’t he? I have hankering for Dean Martin πŸ˜‰

2. cpbialois March 20, 2013 at 12:33 pm #

My dad spent years trying to get me to watch John Wayne movies but I always thought they were boring (Sci-Fi/horror boy here:)) and only like The Green Berets. A few years ago, I decided to get a couple of them and since I’m a huge Wayne fan. I love his westerns but not so much his other war movies. To me he’ll always be THE cowboy to watch. I have to admit I’m torn to pic my favorite. I’d have to admit Rio Bravo may edge out The Searchers by a hair.

Now to get the wife to watch it…

• shayfabbro March 20, 2013 at 12:35 pm #

We’ll gang up on her πŸ˜‰ I also love Sons of Katie Elder

• cpbialois March 20, 2013 at 5:36 pm #

Oh yeah. That fight scene was hilarious. I got Jamie to watch that scene after she saw him on I Love Lucy and remarked how handsome and tall he was. She cracked up when he threw his kid brother across the room with one hand. lol We have our work cut out for us though, she hates Westerns in general.

3. Helen McMullin March 21, 2013 at 9:40 am #

I’ve lost count of the times I’ve seen Rio Bravo. It came out when I was in high school and I’m not sure how many times my cousins and I saw it the first week it was at the theater. Now we still watch it on DVD. I think it ties McClintock for my favorite John Wayne movie ever. If you want to see an absolutely silly JW movie, watch The Conqueror, where he plays Genghis Khan. I’m not sure how they ever persuaded him to play a Mongol Chieftain.

• shayfabbro March 21, 2013 at 9:54 am #

I love McClintock too. Never heard of The Conqueror. Sounds hilarious. I can’t picture the Duke as Genghis Khan!