Never Underestimate Your Pets

As anyone going through a divorce will tell  you, one of the hardest things to deal with is the loneliness. It’s REALLY hard to go from sleeping next to someone, cooking them dinner, hanging out together, to all of a sudden being alone. Compile that with my being a professor and being off for the summer and you have a recipe for emotional disaster.

Since our house is on the market (if you know anyone in Grand Junction, CO that is looking to buy a home, message me LOL) we decided that it might be better to let the ex take the two cats to his apartment. Our cats are not allowed outside and Buddy (the 14 pound male) doesn’t do well with strangers marching through the house. He can be a bit grumpy cantankerous dangerous to those he feels are a threat to his momma or to his house.

I thought I’d be okay with it. And for a little while I was. I was busy with the end of the spring semester and finals and grading and all that plus without a cat box to clean up after, the occasional hairball mess, and all the hair, it really seemed like a good plan.

Until the semester ended and I was alone in the house all the time.

Talk about going stir crazy! It’s not like I don’t have friends or anything but most of them have jobs during the week so it’s not like they can hangout with the lonely divorced lady. I’m actually okay doing a lot of things on my own but going to movies or out to eat costs money. I enjoy hiking and all that but there’s not a lot of trails I feel safe going on by  myself. A lot of them are pretty rugged and isolated and I’m a girl and I really don’t want to end up murdered and decapitated or something.

After a very emotional weekend, I decided to take my cat back. I say my cat because I’ve had Buddy since he was a baby, before ex and I ever started dating. He’s thirteen now and is a total momma’s boy. He snuggles with me and gives me kitty kisses. And best of all, he’s here all the time and knows when I need some special snuggle time. He greets me at the door when I get home and sits on the table while I get dinner ready.  He’s very good at putting up with all the kitty hugs and kisses momma can dish out which makes him even more awesome.

It’s amazing how much better my mood became after I got Buddy back home. I have something to talk to and yes, he even talks back to me sometimes. It’s nice not to wake up alone although kitty kisses to the face at six in the morning can be a little annoying. But I’ll take it. I’ll take cleaning the cat box every day, vacuuming every day, Swiffering every day (and yes, Swiffering can be used as a verb), even taking him in the carrier and hanging out with the car running and the A/C blasting if it means that I get to have my Buddy home with me.

Never underestimate how much your pets can help through a crisis. They are always there to show you unconditional love whenever you need it. And if you are alone and don’t have one, consider getting one. Dog, cat, bunny, whatever. As long as it’s something cute and cuddly. I’ve never had a lizard or snake as a pet but I’m not sure lizard or snake kisses have the same emotional effects as fuzzy mammal kisses.

Just sayin’ 😉

Tags: , , , , , ,

7 Comments on “Never Underestimate Your Pets”

1. Sheilagh Lee May 21, 2013 at 2:51 pm #

I’m glad Buddy is keeping you company

2. Kelly Blanton May 21, 2013 at 3:21 pm #

Our Executive Director retired in April and moved out of the country. They thought they were taking their dog with them but last minute complications made it impossible. So I took the dog. Part greyhound, 12 years old, has separation anxieties and can’t keep him in the yard. So far he has destroyed the fence and torn up the barbeque grill, not to mention scratching the heck out of my new bamboo flooring in our nightly ritual of what we refer to as “tearing-ass” through the house as we chase each other around. Had only had him for two weeks, got an email from Cuenca Ecuador, “moving back, miss the dog too much”. Well, of course that made me cry and your dad just happened to walk in. All I could choke out was “they are taking my dog…” Gallant as he is he responded that “nobody is taking your dog”, until he found out I’d only had him for a couple of weeks and probably have not established unquestionable ownership yet. So at first I tried to be “cool” and reserved with the dog and even told him I only like him the appropriate amount. Well, that didn’t last for long…we love each other. And yes, I’ll give him back in July but I secretly hope he hesitates before getting in the car with them. (who am I kidding…I really secretly hope he bites them!!!) And although I kinda feel like now I’m just cleaning up someone else’s dog’s crap, I’m still gonna miss the heck out of Papi when he’s gone.

• shayfabbro May 22, 2013 at 4:13 pm #

Awwwww! So sad about the dog 😦 Pets really do grow attached to their owners. I love how may dad steps in and says no one is taking your dog. LOL

3. lisafender May 21, 2013 at 8:13 pm #

I completely understand. When I went through my major breakup I had my dog at the time, Daisy. She was my companion through thick and thin! I don’t know what I would have done without her!

4. dsavannah May 27, 2013 at 9:19 pm #

I can’t even imagine having gone through my divorce (same as you – almost 10 years of marriage) without my kitty babies with me. Glad Buddy is back home with you! xooxox

• shayfabbro May 28, 2013 at 3:57 pm #

It’s been such a huge difference in my mood with him around. I look so forward to his snuggles and kisses 🙂