What’s Your Favorite Souvenir?

One of the best thing about trips (other than the million photos) are the souvenirs. There are so many to choose from!

Do you go with the shot glass? Magnets? Shirts? Something quirky? Something useful?

I posted recently about my trip to Pendleton, OR and the visit to the Pendleton Underground. While browsing through the gift shop I came across a totally silly souvenir that said “Oregon Stool Sample”. Inside of a tube was a tiny wooden stool. Of course I bought it 😉

While at the counter I noticed some shiny silver bracelets and necklaces. It’s hard for me to wear necklaces as having stuff around my neck makes me feel ooky. I can’t wear turtle necks and forget cute little scarves. The only necklace I wear is the DNA necklace my mom had made for me when I defended my PhD dissertation. The little diamonds on it are from her original wedding band. The settings were wearing out so dad bought her a new one. She saved the six little diamonds with the plan to use two for each of us girls.

Next to the silver necklaces and bracelets were a couple little baskets of charms. There were tiny silver corsets, a pistol, little cowboy and two playing cards. I decided on the bracelet and one of each of the charms. I hooked them on and wore my new souvenir bracelet to a store just down the street. Imagine my shock when I see that they also have some charms next to the register as well as a pamphlet explaining the significance of the charms. Pendleton has what it known as the Charm Trail. Businesses in town each have charms that fit their wares. It’s brilliant!

***Take note Grand Junction, Palisade, Clifton, Fruita…you guys need to get on board with this!***

The pamphlet was several pages listing all the business participating in the Charm Trail as well as pictures of their charms. By the time we were done for the day, I had nine charms 😀

What is your favorite souvenir from a vacation? I’d love to hear from you!

Comment on this with your favorite souvenir and I will choose ONE commenter at random to win one of each of my current e-books: Portals of Destiny (The Chosen, Shattered Destiny, Mad Lord Lucian) and Alexis Davenport (Dangerous Reflections and Twisted Reflections). Winner will be contacted via email Monday, July 22nd! 😀

Tags: , , , , ,

19 Comments on “What’s Your Favorite Souvenir?”

1. Gordon Bonnet (@TalesOfWhoa) July 15, 2013 at 4:54 pm #

I collect masks, so my favorite souvenirs are the various masks I’ve gotten from all over the world. My favorite one is a goat-skin mask of a human face that I got in Iceland, where I got to meet the artist & talk to her. It hangs above the mantelpiece in my living room.

• drshaywest July 15, 2013 at 5:06 pm #

Oh wow, that sounds awesome!!!!! What a unique thing to collect 😀

• Gordon Bonnet (@TalesOfWhoa) July 15, 2013 at 5:27 pm #

Well, I have them hanging in… um… strategic places in my house. Like, you go around a corner, and there one is, at eye level. I’ve yet to cause any of my guests to have a heart attack, but I think it’s been a close thing.

2. Susan July 15, 2013 at 6:52 pm #

My favorite souvenir is a piece of lava with olivine crystals from near the Green Sand Beach in southern Hawai’i. It came from the bowels of the earth, something no other human has ever touched before I did.

• drshaywest July 15, 2013 at 6:55 pm #

What an awesome thing to have forever. I LOVE rocks and grab eye-catching ones every chance I get

3. Robert "Sharky" Pruneda July 15, 2013 at 7:43 pm #

I always buy shot glasses and magnets when I’m visiting someplace new. My favorite shot glass is one I got at Isle of Capris in Lake Charles, Louisiana. The shot glass has a red plastic crayfish attached to the side of it. 🙂

• drshaywest July 15, 2013 at 7:45 pm #

I’ve done the shot glass and magnet thing before. I sort of wish I had gotten a magnet from the Pendleton Underground now 😛

4. Linda Thum July 15, 2013 at 10:36 pm #

Other than the memories 🙂
    I like magnets

• drshaywest July 16, 2013 at 7:50 am #

I wish I would have grabbed a magnet from my last vacation!

5. Brandi July 16, 2013 at 8:36 pm #

Because of your posts, I’ve put Pendleton on a road trip wish list that my husband and I are making… And Now, I totally want to do the charm trail!!! How very cool!!

Also, I usually have to buy a coffee cup or a t-shirt. I’m so not cool that way.

• drshaywest July 17, 2013 at 10:32 am #

Sweet!!!! Hope you guys have fun. The Underground Tour will seriously blow your mind 😀

6. Mike Schulenberg July 16, 2013 at 11:33 pm #

My favorite souvenir is a Norwegian flag pin I bought at the Viking Ship Museum in Oslo. I didn’t take up much space in my luggage, and it’s on my cap that I wear whenever I leave the house, so it’s like I’m carrying a physical manifestation of that trip everywhere I go.

• drshaywest July 17, 2013 at 10:33 am #

Size is always important when it comes to souvenirs, especially when flying. The pin is a great idea!

• Mike Schulenberg July 17, 2013 at 1:57 pm #

Yeah, that and you really appreciate the small stuff when you’re backpacking around to different parts of a country. You definitely have to make some hard compromises when traveling light, but not having to worry about much luggage is worth it to me.

7. Bree West July 17, 2013 at 8:40 am #

I always get shot glasses. I have them from every trip I’ve been on since going to Egypt. Of course, I couldn’t find a shot glass in Cairo, but I did get one from Amsterdam! 🙂 And technically, my favorite souvenir is from a trip I didn’t even take! Stroop brought me home a turtle made out of seashells from her trip to California in high school. It started my collection of turtles, and it’s my favorite, by far! Does that count? 🙂

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. And the winner is… | Dr. Shay West - July 22, 2013

[…] week I did a post about favorite souvenirs and asked readers to chime in with their favorite vacation trinkets. And as promised I will be […]