Timey-Wimey Spoiler-Woiler Thing

I was cruising the internets last night looking for some ideas on how to make the gun that Rose Tyler carries when she comes back from the alternate universe. I’m working on my cosplay outfit for Philly ComicCon next summer. Anyway, I came across this forum and scrolled through the chats, not really paying much attention, wanting to see pictures of her futuristic weapon when I saw several posts lambasting the original poster for not warning about spoilers. I understand that folks who haven’t seen a TV show or movie won’t want to know what’s happening before they see it.

But just how long do we give them to see it?

This particular forum I ran across was posted almost a full year AFTER Rose shows up back in our time helping to fight the Daleks.

Sorry, but if you haven’t seen that season yet and it’s been out a year, then you deserve to be spoiled.

If it’s only been a few weeks, then of course don’t say anything. But what is the rule? Do we give people a few days, weeks, months to watch a particular TV show or movie before posting or speaking of it?

Tags: ,

9 Comments on “Timey-Wimey Spoiler-Woiler Thing”

1. The Book Hipster August 28, 2013 at 8:51 am #

A year and they were complaining…whatever. I give a week, maybe two? I figure if I haven’t watched the current episode within a week of it landing on my DVR, then I can’t expect everyone to be quiet while I look to have free time to watch. Duh.

2. MR Graham August 28, 2013 at 9:05 am #

I would say it depends on the context. If it’s something that’s just come out and not everyone can reasonably be expected to have seen it (gotten around to watching in the DVR, rented it from Blockbuster, etc.), it’s probably kind to keep quiet for perhaps a couple of weeks, maybe as long as a month. If there’s someone in the world who still doesn’t know that Snape killed Dumbledore, they’ve got a bit of a problem. Either avoid the corners of the internet where you know you might get spoiled, or stop whining.
    On the other hand, there really are some lines that oughtn’t be crossed. I recently had a conversation to the effect of:
    “So, I’m watching this series – FINALLY. Can’t wait to get all the references and stuff.”
    “Oh, have you gotten to the point where COMPLETE GAMECHANGER?”
    “… No. I hadn’t. Thanks.”
    Terribly subjective.

• drshaywest August 28, 2013 at 10:04 am #

Oh, that’s just plain mean!!!!! If they know you hadn’t seen it, then don’t say anything or ask you “So what part are you at?” THEN have a discussion of what you have seen thus far. My sister is watching Deadwood for the first time. I don’t say anything until she tells me what episode she just finished to make sure I don’t spoil anything

• MR Graham August 28, 2013 at 1:09 pm #

On behalf of everyone in the process of watching something, I thank you for that!

• drshaywest August 28, 2013 at 3:27 pm #

That’s not to say I don’t pester my sister relentlessly to hurry UP and finish the dang series already 😉

• The Book Hipster August 28, 2013 at 3:59 pm #

Oh, that is totally different for me! If I know someone is in the process of watching something I’ve seen, I won’t spoil intentionally. That’s just harsh.

3. Andrew F. Butters August 28, 2013 at 12:40 pm #

SPOILER ALERT: Andrew shares his opinion!

It’s all about being considerate. I didn’t address timelines in a recent post I made on this very topic BUT I think one simple rule applies regardless of how long it’s been since the original airing: say flat out, “Spoiler Alert” and give people an opportunity to avert their eyes/ears. Commenting or posting and giving away plot points without providing fair warning you’re about to do so is being a jerk, plain and simple.

4. cpbialois August 29, 2013 at 11:48 am #

Honestly, if it’s more than a few months then why hold back? If you don’t want to know the spoilers then don’t read the forums. I like knowing what’s going to happen. For me it enhances the story sometimes. If I don’t want to know, I don’t read anything about it. This is going to sound harsh, but I don’t believe in exercising self control for other people. Sorry, that’s not mine. or anyone else’s, responsibility

• drshaywest August 31, 2013 at 11:43 am #

I think being courteous right after something comes out is fine. But getting upset a year after a show aired seems rather extreme.