Things I’m Weirdly Compulsive About

I’m sure most people, if they REALLY thought about it, have some things in their life that have to be just so or they start to twitch. It could be the direction the toilet paper is hanging. For me, don’t really care. As long as I HAVE toilet paper I’m perfectly happy. It can hang forward or backward and it’s no biggie. My dad, on the other hand, has to have it a certain way or he freaks out. Which makes it great fun to change the roll when visiting 😀 Yes, I know, I’m going to hell for tormenting my parents 😉

I am in no way intending to offend those with true OCD, as that is debilitating and in no way a laughing matter. This is more habits we pick up that we can’t shake that are silly or quirky.

Here’s a couple of my weirdly compulsive habits:

~~I HAVE to have equal amounts of silverware in each slot in the dishwasher. No idea where this came from but I really do. It would so nice if I could put the same silverware in one slot to make it easier to put away. I even tried it once just to see if I could do it. When I saw thew two spoons in one slot and all the others empty, I had to move one of the spoons. *sigh*. I even tend to go from right to left when I put the silverware in also. Just to make sure all the slots get one piece each before I have to double up. One of my students said that my thing with the silverware makes perfect sense; with everything being evenly distributed, the stuff gets cleaner! So that’s my excuse for why I do it.

~~When using a restroom with multiple stalls, I almost always go for the second one as soon as you come into the door. No idea where this came from either. And it’s so strange that I almost get offended if someone is already there. Like, it’s MY stall or something. I don’t even have an excuse for why I do this. Maybe the second stall is always the cleanest? *shrug*

So what about you? What things do you find yourself doing that defy explanation or that are quirky and funny?

Tags: , , , ,

9 Comments on “Things I’m Weirdly Compulsive About”

1. Inion N. Mathair January 17, 2014 at 1:05 pm #

Ha ha ha. Love that you change the toilet paper around! I sometimes like to mess with Mathair doing things like that, though I don’t push it too far. Southern mamas don’t play. LOL. Mathair has this tick that she can’t drink milk out of a paper cup, which I always found rather odd. And everyone has to wash out there dishes when they’re done eating. She doesn’t mind that you don’t load them in a dishwasher or clean them fully, just that you wash off the excess food. I’m a stickler about cereal milk. I can’t and won’t drink the milk in my cereal. I have this idea in my head that it’s nothing but backwash, so the thought gags me. I know it’s a waste of milk, (especially because I’m a cereal-holic), but I can’t bring myself to do it. I also can’t stand sleeping with my bedroom door open. Don’t know why, but if someone opens it at night, I will wake up from a dead sleep to get up and close it. Great post, Shay. And BTW, the dishwashing tick… is one of mine as well. Sh. don’t tell Mathair.

• drshaywest January 17, 2014 at 2:59 pm #

I don’t drink the milk either! HAHA! I thought of another one: when I eat popcorn, candy, etc I ALWAYS have to have two pieces, one for each side. If I get to the end of the bowl/box and there’s one left, I have to break it into two pieces or I can eat it LOL

2. dSavannah January 17, 2014 at 1:09 pm #

Light switches. The light switches for a room/stairs with two sets – you know, like at the top of the stairs and bottom of the stairs – have to be a certain way. I’ll even walk *in the dark* to “fix” them. Makes me nuts that I do that.

• drshaywest January 17, 2014 at 3:00 pm #

I am so lucky that I don’t have light switched like that or else mine would have to face the same way too! LOL Isn’t it strange that we ALL have a little OCD??

3. cpbialois January 17, 2014 at 4:13 pm #

Oh Lord here we go. One of mine is the toilet paper. It’s underhanded or I get a little pissy. lol Any books or movies I have must be in order and I have to read/watch them in order. (Sometimes I can break away in the middle but not for long). And in restrooms I WANT the handicap stall due to the higher seat and more space and I need to use the left urinal even if it’s the lower kid’s one. Finally, I’m super anal about following a routine. When my routine’s messed up I’m not too happy.

On the fun side, I love to mess with people by switching or doing things that messes up their routines or just drives them nuts. Gotta love poking rattlesnakes. 😀

• drshaywest January 18, 2014 at 7:02 pm #

Bwahaha!!! I can totally see you poking rattlesnakes 😀

4. sophieweeks January 18, 2014 at 6:50 pm #

To make your silverware compulsion even weirder: the silverware also gets cleaner if you mix up the utensils. So, one fork, one spoon, one knife. Otherwise stuff can…well, spoon, and not get as clean. ENJOY.

• drshaywest January 18, 2014 at 7:04 pm #