Maybe THIS time it Won’t Happen! * Game of Thrones SPOILERS*

As I watched episode 9, season 3 of Game of Thrones I was faced with this dilemma…I KNEW what was going to happen during the infamous Red Wedding scene as I’d already read the books. I knew what was coming and yet I couldn’t look away as the knives slashed and arrows flew. I held my hands to my mouth in horror as I watched Robb’s wife bleed to death, her hand cradled gently over her ruined mid-section. Knowing that she was pregnant made the scene all the more tragic. But what really got to me was Cat’s pleas for her eldest sun to run, just RUN. I begged Robb to take off and run, grab Grey Wind, climb on a horse, and flee for the love of all things holy…

But that didn’t happen. The words were already set in stone, as it were. George RR Martin had already written their deaths and it had to unfold as planned.

But part of me always hopes that it will somehow end differently, that the characters will prevail, that they won’t perish. I found myself in that place of wishful thinking as I watched the Red Wedding unfold before my eyes. And was quite disappointed when everyone dies just as they had in the books.

I realized that I do this a lot when watching movies or reading books over again. I know what’s going to happen and yet I hope that this time things will somehow be different. And they never are.

Anyone else ever do this or is it just me?? LOL

Tags: , , ,

10 Comments on “Maybe THIS time it Won’t Happen! * Game of Thrones SPOILERS*”

1. Inion N. Mathair March 6, 2014 at 2:40 pm #

Mathair and I haven’t had the honor of reading George RR Martin’s books, but we are HUGE GOT fans and were literally screaming out in terror as the throat slid along Cat’s throat. We have experienced what you wrote about, though. I remember praying that Louis rescued Claudia in time in Interview with the Vampire. Screaming at the TV screen when Aslan walked to his doom in order to free Edmund from the White Witch’s hold. Luckily, a lot of Hollywood adaptations of novels are being bent a bit because hardcore readers already know what’s going to happen. Because Alan Ball wanted to sneak in surprises to True Blood viewers, he’s taken a lot of creative liberties with Charlaine Harris’ Sookie Stackhouse Series and let’s not forget the infamous vision sequence in the second installment of The Twilight Saga’s Breaking Dawn. I count it a gift when a reader can be unbiased and simply enjoy another take on their beloved story. So, you see, we are gifted, Shay. 😉

• drshaywest March 6, 2014 at 4:04 pm #

Oh my GOSH the Aslan scene 😦 I thought for SURE that he wouldn’t go that time!!!

2. patricksponaugle March 6, 2014 at 3:57 pm #

I get what you are saying. My wife and I knew what was going to happen, and the execution of the scene in the episode was so compelling.

• drshaywest March 6, 2014 at 4:05 pm #

It was spectacular, is it’s appropriate to say that a scene that horrific is spectacular… LOL

• patricksponaugle March 6, 2014 at 4:07 pm #

Yes, it was a spectacle and a horror. Totally appropriate.

3. cpbialois March 7, 2014 at 12:32 pm #

JK Rowling got me when she killed Dumbledore. I must’ve read that part a hundred times hoping I read it wrong. So far I only get like that when my favorites are killed off, but it still sucks not being able to alter it. lol

• drshaywest March 7, 2014 at 12:46 pm #

That’s another one that gets you right in the feels!

• cpbialois March 7, 2014 at 6:37 pm #

Yep. I had a few four letter adjectives for her then. Good thing I love her books and moved on. lol

• drshaywest March 7, 2014 at 8:21 pm #

But do we ever really move on???? 😉

• cpbialois March 8, 2014 at 6:52 am #

Good question. I’m still a little upset that Dumbledore was killed. lol