What if Humans Had Eye Stalks?

In the animal kingdom, there are some pretty freaky critters. And by freaky I mean so bat-shit crazy you’d swear you were on another planet.

Take the stalk-eyed fly, for instance. The flies are born with their eyes close to their head (which is sorta where I would like this important appendage to be but that’s just me). Both males and females have the stalks but the distance between the eyes is what determines which males will get the ladies. When they are born, their bodies are transparent which enabled scientists to video the fly pumping air into their heads and into the stalks…Ewwwwwww!!!!! Watching this video gives me the squichies but it’s also fascinating at the same time. If you have an eye thing like me you will probably have nightmares so watch at your own risk. I mean, you can see the bloody optic nerve trailing through the stalk to attach to the eye! *blergh*

This got me thinking…what if humans had their eyes sticking out of their heads on long stalks of flesh? I’m sure the stalk-eyed flies have pretty decent vision with their eyes all the way out to the side like that but not sure I’d want to take the chance of flying debris ripping my eye out! Or having stuff sticking to them 😛

Human eyes on stalks?? Ummmm...no

Human eyes on stalks?? Ummmm…no

Tags: , , , ,

9 Comments on “What if Humans Had Eye Stalks?”

1. blazemcrob June 22, 2014 at 6:59 pm #

Gotta love these little buggers. There is a horror tale in this for sure. I’ll flip a coin as to which of us gets to write it.

Blaze

• drshaywest June 22, 2014 at 7:02 pm #

We can just watch Planet Earth and get tons of ideas, eh??? 😀

• blazemcrob June 22, 2014 at 7:42 pm #

If I can write about trees uprooting themselves and becoming the dominant life form on the planet, what’s a little fly?

Blaze

2. blazemcrob June 22, 2014 at 7:50 pm #

That reminds me to publish my alien pizzas who eat humans story. New York and Chicago styles.

Blaze

3. blazemcrob June 22, 2014 at 7:56 pm #

Be very afraid, Shay. The battles were fought in Colorado and Wyoming!

Blaze

4. blazemcrob June 22, 2014 at 7:59 pm #

War is hell! And messy when you’re battling extra cheese alien pizzas.

Blaze