Surgery to Remove My Radial Scar

Back in October I was diagnosed with a radial scar after a mammogram revealed a suspicious shadowy area. A biopsy showed that I had a radial scar and even though it’s considered benign, about 10% of cases do go on to become cancerous so I went with the recommendation to have it removed. Plus, the tissue mass itself can often mask cancerous cells that a biopsy might not pick up so removal with a full pathological work-up is the best course of action.

My procedure started way early in the morning, last Thursday about 6:30 am. I had to go to the Imaging Pavilion for a mammogram to place a guide for the surgeon. I had to have my poor boobs squooshed and numbed with local anesthetic prior to the placement of the guide wire. It hurt a tad even with the local, but it wasn’t anything I couldn’t handle.

My dad drove me across the street to the surgery center. They whisked me to my own tiny room where I got to hang and watch Law and Order: SVU while the nurses got my IV hooked up and while I waited for the antibiotic to finish administering. The anesthesiologist came in and gave me a sedative and before I knew it, I was heading to surgery. The last thing I remember was staring up at the lights on the ceiling.

It’s so weird to have that missing block of time. I teach pharmacology so I know the effects of the components of the anesthetic cocktail. But it’s one thing to teach about it and another to actually live it. I hadn’t been under general anesthesia since I had my wisdom teeth out when I was 19 and I don’t even remember it at all.

I woke up back in another small room, drank some juice and 2 cups of water while I recovered from the anesthetic. I can’t remember how long I was in recovery but it didn’t seem like more than 30-45 minutes. I was thirsty as heck and starving.

Dad came and got me and he bought me breakfast at Village Inn. I felt a little embarrassed to go to a public place dressed like I was in yoga pants, slippers, and a shirt with no bra but I still had the hospital bracelet on and the gauze on my hand from where the IV was placed and I was so damn hungry that I didn’t really worry about it. I ate an order of pumpkin pancakes, 6 pieces of bacon, several cups of decaf, and almost an entire carafe of water.

The surgeon gave me a prescription for hydrocodone but I never filled it. Didn’t really need to. I was a little sore later Thursday afternoon but nothing that ibuprofen couldn’t handle. The incision is still pretty wicked looking  but hopefully that will subside as the healing process continues.

I’ve been wearing a sports bra day and night and I think that’s been helping with the pain. I’ve also been sleeping a lot since Thursday LOL Slept until 10 am Friday and took a 2 hour nap. Slept in Saturday and relaxed most of the day. Might see if my body can handle a little bit of exercise tomorrow. Nothing too vigorous, just a little time on my stair stepper machine. It doesn’t require the use of my arms so it should be okay. I just can’t stand this much inactivity LOL But I also know a healing body needs rest so I’m trying not to push too much.

Hopefully the results from the pathology come back a negative and I won’t ever have another radial scar show up on any future mammograms. But I’m thankful that this was caught early and that the worst I’ll get from the experience is a scar.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

76 Comments on “Surgery to Remove My Radial Scar”

1. Sally Ember, Ed.D. December 21, 2015 at 7:11 am #

Glad you’re okay. Best to you, Shay!

2. 22niel December 21, 2015 at 8:05 am #

Glad to hear you’re feeling good, and not having that to worry about over Christmas is something like a gift.

3. blazemcrob December 21, 2015 at 11:52 am #

I’m glad everything went well, my friend. Stay healthy!

Blaze

• drshaywest December 21, 2015 at 11:53 am #

Thank you my friend! Definitely healing very well, no pain meds, incision is already itching LOL

4. Inion N. Mathair January 11, 2016 at 9:43 pm #

So happy to hear you’re doing good & it’s behind you Shay. You are a trooper my dear!!As for your recovery breakfast….pumpkin pancakes, yummy!! Most definitely the star of that meal. lol 😉

5. kate g August 24, 2016 at 12:58 pm #

hi there, i found your blog while googling for info about my radial scar. i am still waiting for the core needle biopsy results, but during that procedure my radiologist said “either way this has to come out, so prepare yourself mentally…” which seemed pretty blanket-statementy. 🙂 i wondered if you would tell me whether your doctors offered any non-surgical/observation options since the RS was shown to be benign (i do know it can hide cancer cells in a small percentage of patients)? it just seems like not a lot is known about RS and they do surgery automatically. i am curious to hear if anyone has been offered other options. so far no one has. thanks so much, and glad to hear your experience wan’t too bad!

• drshaywest August 31, 2016 at 5:07 pm #

My surgeon said it has to come out. It’s one of those things that the minor surgery to remove the benign radial scar is preferable to leaving it there and taking the risk. The problem is, you won’t know if it will become cancerous or not until it actually *does* become cancerous, which means surgery, radiation treatment, and maybe chemotherapy if there’s metastasis. It’s the same thing as having pre-cancerous actinic keratosis (pre-cancerous skin lesions) removed before they can turn into cancer. Please reply with how your surgery goes!!! ❤

• carol January 24, 2017 at 12:50 pm #

radial scars are NOT CANCER,,,

• drshaywest January 27, 2017 at 6:08 pm #

No, but they CAN hide cancerous cells int heir radial arms which is why they need to be removed. And in about 20% of cases, they can become cancerous. Better to have something benign removed if it’s potentially a ticking time bomb

6. Barbara August 28, 2016 at 6:28 pm #

Hi, Dr. Shay and Kate G, I too was just diagnosed with an RS and was told it needs to be removed. Hope to hear from you both about observation. My doctor said RS’s are not related to hormone changes but I can’t help but wonder if watching and ongoing mammograms are better than surgery. Thanks, barbara – barbara@c-squaredpr.com

• drshaywest August 31, 2016 at 5:09 pm #

That’s a big no to more mammograms. Those in and of themselves can potentially lead to mutations that could lead to cancer. The surgery really is minimally invasive and I didn’t have to take anything more than ibuprofen for the pain. My wisdom tooth surgery was way worse! LOL It’s just not worth the risk of the radial scar becoming cancerous in the future. Get it out before it has the chance to do more harm. Let me know how your surgery goes!! ❤

• Denise Lombardo February 22, 2017 at 12:31 am #

Thanks for your replies…turns out it was invasive lobular after all. Not too big, low grade, lymph nodes clear thankfully…But just had second excision today to ensure clear margins on the bottom.love the idea of second sports bra for support and the small ice packs…Thank you!!

• drshaywest February 22, 2017 at 9:31 am #

So glad the lymph nodes were clear! And very glad you’re healing well 😀

7. Jennifer November 5, 2016 at 11:03 am #

Hello: thanks for sharing your experience. I will be having three radial scars removed in a couple of weeks. Two biopsies were required. The first was not bad as it was guided by ultrasound, I was on my back and it was pretty quick with minimal discomfort. The second was much more involved and very uncomfortable. Because of the scar’s location, only an MRI could show it. I was face down with my left breast compressed for most of an hour. All three radial scars tested as benign.

I still think it has to be better than what cancer patients go through. My surgeon said that she will be removing some of the surrounding cells since the radial scars can hide cancer.

I am hoping that the removal won’t be too bad. A wire will be inserted on the morning of surgery, as with you and I know that will be the most uncomfortable. There is already an S-clip for two of the spots.

None of these were apparent on last year’s annual mammogram, but this year the mammogram technology took a leap forward, at least where I go. It now shows the breast tissue in more detail. I also have dense breast tissue, which can hide abnormalities. As I am in my early 50s, I guess I am prime age for such things regardless of family history and/or any genes predisposing one to breast cancer.

• Jennifer November 5, 2016 at 11:10 am #

P.S. Thanks again for sharing. I am glad that it went well. With the advances in technology, I imagine we will see more women ( and maybe men?) having this done. This is a good thing.

• drshaywest November 8, 2016 at 8:28 am #

How did the surgery go?? I’d love to hear back from you!

• Jennifer November 8, 2016 at 2:44 pm #

Hi! Thanks for asking. My surgery is on Nov 18. This week I have the pre-surgery blood test, EKG and chest X-ray.

• drshaywest November 8, 2016 at 2:46 pm #

I’ll be thinking of you! Everything will go super smooth 🙂 Let me know how it goes ❤

• Jennifer November 8, 2016 at 2:52 pm #

Thank you!

• drshaywest November 8, 2016 at 8:27 am #

My surgery went smoothly and with minimal pain. They gave me a prescription for an opioid pain med but I didn’t fill it. Only needed ibuprofen for the pain.

• Jennifer November 19, 2016 at 4:04 am #

Greeting! Mu surgery was yesterday. I am a little uncomfortable, but not bad. Last night I did take a Percocet. The prescription was to take two at a time, but the nurses, doctor and pharmacies said that it was best to take one and see how I feel. It knocked me out.

The left breast, I imagine will be the most difficult to heal. The surgeon said that she had to dig around in it more than expected. That’s what my sister told me. I was still out when the doctor talked to her in the waiting area. She also told me that they had trouble waking me. So, I am sure that I will learn more.

I imagine that the left side was more challenging because the radial scar was a challenge to locate to begin with: dense breast tissue, size (2 CMS) that meant its arms radiated out more, and probably location, location, location. The two on the right were smaller and located right next to each other.

If anyone is in the northeastern Pennsylvania area and needs to have this done, I recommend the team at Geisinger CMC in Scranton. They’re very personable, professional and caring. I cannot say enough good things about them.

Nothing was said about using cold on the areas as was required after the biopsies. I’m using some a little this morning, especially on the left.

• drshaywest November 20, 2016 at 10:26 am #

I’m so glad everything went smoothly!!! Hopefully neither one of us will never have another radial scar diagnosis again 😀

• Jennifer December 13, 2016 at 9:14 am #

I had my follow-up to surgery yesterday. It would have been sooner, but both she (the surgeon) and I had to reschedule a time or two. The testing on the removed radial scars revealed no cancer. There were a few cells near the ones in the right breast that are abnormal, specifically some type of hyperplasia, which can increase the chance of cancer four- fold. So, as the surgeon said, I’ll be married to the clinic for the rest of my life, aka, I will see her every 6 months.

8. kate g December 1, 2016 at 4:51 pm #

hey ladies, just remembering to post my update, in case anyone else is reading these for info on a pending surgery. i went ahead and had my RS removed on september 30 by a breast surgery specialist at UCLA breast center. she was excellent. the surgery was pretty easy and recovery was quick. i, too. didn’t need to fill the pain med prescription and only used only acetaminophen (and later ibuprofen) for the pain. i’d say the most uncomfortable part of my experience was that they put a guide wire in my breast first, then took a mammogram (with a wire sticking out of my breast haha) in the hour prior to the surgery. i didn’t need anything to sedate me before going into the OR, so when i work up i was feeling pretty good and started doing some work on my phone in bed in recovery. 🙂 i drank 3 cups of water with ice chips, then the nurse told me i couldn’t have any more until i got home. 🙂 she was worried i would get nauseous from the sedative they gave me during the procedure, but i went out for lunch on the way back and all was good. luckily! everything has healed well, and the only weird thing was when i “spit” a stitch, along with the suture knot, about a week ago. that’s normal apparently it but surprised me. i sterilized the area and some tweezers, and gently pulled and it came right out. left a little hole (which is standard) and i just kept it clean and applied antibiotic and bandaid as needed, everything looks good! thanks for your help and support! here’s to cancer free breasts for all of us!
    cheers
    kate

• drshaywest December 1, 2016 at 6:40 pm #

So glad it went okay! The guide wire was painful for me too, even with local anesthetic. I went out and ate a big late breakfast after my surgery! LOL Never felt sick at all

9. Judy Terwilliger December 10, 2016 at 12:59 pm #

I will be going in to have my radial scar removed. Just found out yesterday that the biopsy revealed the benign radial scar. Doctor said it must come out. Haven’t spoken to the surgeon yet. I was so happy to find this page to hear about others experiencing the same thing. I was worried about the procedure, but was glad to find out it is an out-patient thing and not that bad. So thank you ladies, for putting my mind more at ease.

• drshaywest December 12, 2016 at 6:02 pm #

So glad we could help! It’s so much better to have it removed than take the chance of it harboring cancerous cells. Reply back and let us know how it goes!!

• Judy Terwilliger January 23, 2017 at 6:56 am #

Had my surgery on Jan 12. Was very nervous going in especially about the wire placement, however, that wasn’t bad at all, it was faster than the core needle biopsy. Surgery went well and pathology showed everything benign. I am so relieved as this has been a 2 month ordeal. Am still recovering and still sore. I am older, (64) so I’m not sure if that is why it’s taking longer. My incision is still leaking fluid, but the doctor says that is normal. My incision is on the underside of my breast and right on my bra line and moving my arm seems to aggravate the incision, not to mention my bra. Like most others I was given a prescription for pain meds but only needed Tylenol. I will be glad when I don’t have to wear a bra 24/7 anymore and I am back to normal.

• drshaywest January 23, 2017 at 7:33 pm #

I’m so glad to hear that everything went well and that the radial scar was all benign!!! 😀

• Judy Terwilliger May 30, 2017 at 12:15 pm #

Hi Shay, It has been 4 plus months now since removal of my radial scar and I still have numbness and discomfort in my breast. I’m wondering if you have ever heard of this before and is it normal

• drshaywest August 14, 2017 at 6:50 pm #

I honestly don’t know. I would definitely talk to a doctor

10. Carol R December 17, 2016 at 3:40 am #

I too am glad to have found this blog. Just this evening I learned the results of my breast biopsy. I have a radial scar that will need to be removed. My doc is referring me to a surgeon. I’m a bit stunned. I know it is good news but it’s been a heck of a medical year for me. The latest being I just had carpal tunnel release surgery two days ago and now facing another surgery soon. It helps to read all of your stories. Thank you all.

• drshaywest December 17, 2016 at 5:40 pm #

Carpal tunnel surgery, yikes!!! Although I’ve never had carpal tunnel surgery I imagine the radial scar one will seem like a picnic in comparison! 😀 Comment and let me know how the surgery goes 🙂

11. Dorothy Smith December 22, 2016 at 4:33 pm #

I also need to have radical scar tissue removed…this will be done 1/5/17….I am alittle nervous, but sure it will be ok…..how long did the actual surgery last?? I’m assuming you went home several hours after surgery…..I fought this at first, as I wanted to wait for next mammogram to see if there were any changes…..but have since changed my mind….

• drshaywest December 22, 2016 at 5:19 pm #

I would definitely have the surgery rather than waiting. The smaller the radial scar the easier the surgery 🙂 I went into the imaging center at 7 (had to place the guide wire) and was at the surgery center by 8:30.Then there was pre-op (given antibiotics and sedative) then the OR after that. I don’t honestly remember the time I went in as the sedatives were in full effect 😉 Recovery was actually fast and I was ready to leave in about 45 minutes. That was around 11:30 or noon maybe? Dad took me to go eat a huge breakfast at Village Inn LOL I didn’t even fill the prescription for the opioid pain meds as ibuprofen did fine for the pain

Please comment and let me know how your recovery goes 😀

12. Amy January 2, 2017 at 8:56 pm #

I just received biopsy results via family doctor and also health system web notification. I also have a benign radial scar diagnosis. Total finding was:- benign breast parenchyma with radial scar, ductal hyperplasia and columnar cell change. I will follow through with removal. Shocked to see so many with this issue when sites state it’s very rare. Do have concerns about more of these forming.

• drshaywest January 8, 2017 at 9:51 am #

I sometimes worry about more of them forming, though my surgeon says that the women he’s removed radial scars from never get more (or at least as far as he knows LOL). Reply and so we can give you some moral support for your surgery 🙂

• Amy January 8, 2017 at 2:07 pm #

Thnaks you so much! Had surgical consult this past week and surgery in three weeks! Surgeon says it should be just fine! My hardest part so far is hearing I’ll need to wear a bra 24/7 for 10 days! 😊 Optimistic that pathology will be just fine!

• drshaywest January 9, 2017 at 11:21 am #

Crossing fingers for you!!! 😀

• Amy January 9, 2017 at 5:54 pm #

Thanks so much! I’ll be sure to post back here after my procedure and pathology is back.

• drshaywest January 9, 2017 at 7:13 pm #

Oh yes, and do what Susan said as far as the sports bra. I wore one after my surgery and it was comfy, even to sleep in!

13. susan January 9, 2017 at 5:42 pm #

Hi Shay,
    I just got diagnosed with RS and they told me about the size of a golf ball would be removed. Most of what I have been reading is about 1cm-this would be quite a bit larger. It just seems strange that they could remove this much tissue and not need reconstruction. Surgery consult is next week. Any experience with the mass being this large?

• drshaywest January 9, 2017 at 7:13 pm #

I’m honestly not sure how large mine is but while the center part of the radial scar might only be a few centimeters, it has these “arms” that radiate out (what makes it look like cancer) and infiltrate other tissue. When they remove it, they have to take the entire thing (arms and all) as radial scars can sometimes go on to become cancerous

14. susan January 9, 2017 at 6:12 pm #

Amy–try a sports bra–no hardware and you can sleep in them no problem.
    Susan

• drshaywest January 9, 2017 at 7:14 pm #

Oh yes, the sports bra! So glad I had a bunch of those around after my surgery 😀

• Amy January 12, 2017 at 7:48 am #

Yes, that is what my surgeon suggested! 🙂 I usually wear a bra similar to that anyway so am all set! My bra is just the second thing (after shoes) that comes off after I hit the door at home! 😉

• drshaywest January 16, 2017 at 10:52 am #

HAHAHAHA me too!! I love getting into my comfy yoga pants as soon as I get home 😀

15. Denise Lombardo January 24, 2017 at 3:35 pm #

Have just had 3D mammogram, ultrasound and core biopsy under ultrasound in three places after noticing a sudden change in my left breast. The breast surgeon couldn’t feel anything, and nothing was visible on the mammogram, but because of the indentation on the one side of the breast, he’s investigating further. on ultrasound, a lesion was visible in the area where the breast has indented. He mentioned the possibility of a radial scar – just wondering if anyone else had externally visible breast changes?

Thanks for all your posts ladies – as you well know, your mind runs wild while you’re waiting to find out – it is a comfort to read of the experiences of others…I get my pathology results next Monday and the surgeon said we’ll discuss treatment options from there. I’m guessing that one way or another I’ll need surgery.

How long is post op recovery? I am a high school teacher in Australia and starting our new school year Tuesday…

• drshaywest January 27, 2017 at 6:09 pm #

I didn’t have any external changes. Mine was pretty small and deeper in the tissue. I did my surgery after the semester was over in December and I was only in a little pain for a few days

• kate February 1, 2017 at 2:37 pm #

same here on both counts!

• susan February 21, 2017 at 11:14 pm #

Hi Denise, The evening after surgery and the whole next day I kept icing the site. I didn’t drive any where because of the anesthesia (took just over 24 hrs to clear), but I worked from home and kept icing in the meantime. I was icing every day for the next few days and I only took Tylenol to stay ahead of the pain. I really think the ice helped. Anything flat, frozen and in plastic worked great. If you get smaller packs you can slide it inside the sports bra and it stays in place. Change packs when it thaws out. if you have an oversized top on, it should hide the ice pack. I wore a sports bra for the first two days, then added a second one for added support and have stayed with the two since. I feel like it has really helped keep the swelling down and enabled me to get right back to work. I really only took the day of surgery off, then worked from home on day-1 post-op. Back to work post-op day 2 onward. No heavy lifting on that side for a week so far. Hope this helps.
      Susan

16. Sharon Pence February 1, 2017 at 1:53 pm #

Just found out I have a RS and have a biopsy scheduled. Radiologist indicated that surgery usually is recommended. Why do they do a biopsy if it going to be removed anyway?

• kate February 1, 2017 at 2:36 pm #

hey sharon, as i understood from my surgeon, they would take larger margins if the biopsy came back malignant. hope that helps!

• drshaywest February 4, 2017 at 10:28 am #

The definitive diagnosis of a radial scar can only come from a biopsy as the spots on a mammogram and ultrasound can also be other things as a lot of them look alike 😀

17. Amy February 1, 2017 at 2:41 pm #

Hello! I had my surgery last Friday. Surgery scheduler said it would be local anes. with mild sedation but it ended up being general anesthesia. Surgery went well. Was a little too active on Friday evening and Saturday and paid for that on Sunday/Monday. Pain has been very minimal (about 2 inch scar across top of breast) and have taken only half a pain pill at bed time for mild discomfort. Wearing a bra 24/7 has caused MAJOR discomfort. 😉 Overall, not too much of an inconvenience to have it removed. Best of all….results were BENIGN! No malignancy and considered residual scar tissue. Surgical follow up next week and DONE!

• drshaywest February 4, 2017 at 10:30 am #

I’m so happy for these results!!!! It’s definitely a load off to find out that everything is benign and probably won’t ever come back again 🙂 And for me, the pain was super minimal. I was lucky enough to be able to have my surgery over winter break so I didn’t have to work and could take it easy

18. susan February 21, 2017 at 11:03 pm #

I had my surgery a week ago and all went well. I also had general anesthesia and although I went out for dinner after being released, it was really tough to walk a straight line. After affects of the anesthesia which went away in just over 24 hours. The other thing I did was start icing the site that evening and all day following. That helped keep swelling down and bruising down. The incision was about 2″ long and went in also about 2″. The radial scar was about 8mm plus margins. I never took the heavy duty pain meds–just Tylenol and icing the area.

When I came home from the hospital, I was wrapped with an ace bandage which started slipping down. That night I changed to a medium support sports bra–no hardware–and it worked better. Day 2 after surgery I was feeling pretty good and went out with a girlfriend for my birthday instead of icing it all day, and felt the difference. Got home, iced the area and put on a second medium support sports bra over the first and got much needed added support. I felt it made a big difference in keeping the swelling and discomfort down. If I had to do it all over again, I would have gone to the 2 sportsbras from the beginning. Just one over the other worked really well and I could sleep in them without a problem.

Got the biopsy back and it was all benign. The diagnosis was scary and lead up to the surgery nerve wracking, but I am glad it is over and it is just 6 month mammogram checkups from here.

19. Patty April 14, 2017 at 8:48 pm #

Well I guess it’s my turn. 🙃 Just diagnosed with radial scar yesterday and appt with breast surgeon Monday. The biopsy will be done at SLU, St Louis Univ. using (they tell me) a new device, the only one in the nation. I’d been having off and on very light breast pain so when they called me back in after the 3D mammogram I was scared. They have assured me the large majorities are benign but are almost always removed.

• drshaywest April 26, 2017 at 2:16 pm #

So sorry to hear you’re going through this. Even though radial scars are benign (usually) they can harbor abnormal cells that can become cancerous later. Best to have it out and be done with it! Keep us posted!

• Patty May 10, 2017 at 6:16 pm #

The breast surgeon said without the biopsy I should not have been told it was a radial scar. So my results were benign with no surgery needed. I must repeat mammogram in 6 months. I wasn’t told “what” it was, only benign results. Thanks for the kind words.

20. Brenda Forth April 23, 2017 at 4:15 pm #

I am seeing a surgeon on Monday to talk about the Radial Scar found via a MRI guide biopsy. i am told that most are benign but still a worried as my mother had breast cancer and die at age 59 five years later. I have had kidney cancer and thyroid cancer two years ago. i am trying to stay positive.

• drshaywest April 26, 2017 at 2:17 pm #

Send you lots of prayers and good thoughts. Keep us posted!

• Brenda April 26, 2017 at 5:34 pm #

My Surgery is to be scheduled for Friday May 5th. The doctor is trying to get a hold of the radiologist to find out if they need to place the wires in via mammogram or MRI.

• drshaywest April 27, 2017 at 7:28 pm #

They did mine using a mammogram. Let us know how the surgery goes. I’ll be sending good thoughts your way ❤

• drshaywest May 7, 2017 at 10:46 am #

Hoping everything went okay during your surgery!

• Brenda May 7, 2017 at 5:55 pm #

My surgery was canceled on Friday because the wire guiding equipment was broken , So it is rescheduled for Tuesday, but not confirmed yet from the hospital. I will keep you posted.

• Brenda May 13, 2017 at 1:39 pm #

i had my RS removed on Tuesday and will go on the 17th for my results. painful and sleepy for 1-2 after. not bad though the nerves were worse for my husband. I will keep you posted and I am remaining positive.

21. Susan April 23, 2017 at 5:52 pm #

Brenda, Think positive thoughts! The technology can find things now that they couldn’t a few years ago. Digital mammography is light years ahead of the old xray. My Mom and an aunt had breast cancer–and my biopsy came back benign. Try not to worry until they tell you otherwise. The surgery and recovery is really not bad. I used ice on the incision and never needed pain meds.

22. Bonnie May 6, 2017 at 4:53 am #

I had surgery to remove radial scar during April 2017. I found it a bit scary being in hospital and inserting the needle with a mammogram awkward but not really painful. No real plain after surgery but my breast was itchy. Took Advil and Tylenol. Surgery was on Wednesday and I took Thursday and Friday off from my teaching job. I probably could have gone to work on Friday. My surgeon’s nurse called two days ago and the tissue was benign. Follow up in a couple days. The hardest part was waiting for results and for all the procedures and doctor visits. This all started with a routin mammogram during Feb. so it’s been 2-3 months of worry. Good luck to all.

• drshaywest May 7, 2017 at 10:46 am #

Yay! So glad everything went well! ❤

23. Debbie West May 17, 2017 at 8:47 pm #

Dr. I just received my core biopsy report today. The report shows Adenosis with scarring, calcification and tissue distortion. I was also told after mammogram and ultrasound I had very dense breast tissue. I had lung cancer in 2012. Would this previous cancer increase my risk of this scar hiding any cancerous tissue? I have been referred to a breast oncology surgeon.

Thank you so much for this sight. Reading all of your experiences has helped me so much. Everything I was reading showed a radial scar as a very rare finding.

• drshaywest May 18, 2017 at 12:35 pm #

I honestly don’t know anything about the correlations between breast cancer and a radial scar hiding cancerous cells. Hopefully the surgeon may have more information for you!

• brenda May 18, 2017 at 12:56 pm #

I was also told that a radial scar can hid cancer. I had mine remove and found out this week it is benign but show changes so a mammogram every 6 months