Movie Openings

Sitting here enjoying a glass of wine and watching Cliffhanger, one of my favorite movies ever. I saw this in the theater when it first came out. And I don’t remember an opening scene that was more terrifying and made my palms sweat and my heart race. The interplay between the friends prior to the fatal rescue attempt made Sarah’s death so much more tragic.

Even now, after seeing it countless times the scene STILL makes my palms sweat and my heart race.

A more recent movie with an opening scene that’s also unforgettable but for different reasons was Deadpool. I won’t ruin anything in case some of you haven’t seen it but it was definitely memorable. I’m not sure it’s been done before.

What about you? What are some of your favorite opening scenes from a movie?

Tags: , , , , ,

7 Comments on “Movie Openings”

1. 22niel February 25, 2016 at 5:05 pm #

Deadpool rocks. I suppose it isn’t an opening scene, but last night I saw again that cool scene in Avatar where the main guy is suddenly surrounded by the billion floating-alien/flower-thingy creatures and everything becomes suprizingly peaceful.
    That’s at least the first scene that came to my mind.

• drshaywest February 25, 2016 at 5:15 pm #

YES!!! Great scene! I love those little magical movie moments that stick with us 😀

2. Inion N. Mathair February 26, 2016 at 7:56 pm #

Disturbia. The first movie that came to mind when you said “opening scene.” Another go to would be Jaws. I haven’t seen Cliffhanger so you have me searching Netflix now to see if I can find it and watch it. And voila. Sylvester Stallone and John Lithgow, both great actors. Okay headed off to watch now. Thanks for the movie recommendation Shay. 😉 xo

• drshaywest February 27, 2016 at 8:38 am #

I need to find Disturbia!!!!! 😀 Never seen that one. And yes the opening scene of Jaws completely freaks me out 😀

3. cpbialois March 1, 2016 at 9:08 am #

My opening is a tie between Jaws and a Piranha. There’s something about unsuspecting teens being eaten in the first ten minutes that gets the movie going for me. :D.

4. Kurt March 24, 2016 at 10:49 am #

It’s hard to say honestly. I think my top two would have to be. Jurassic Park, it’s opening scene just feels you with dread, and wonder. My second favorite opening to a movie scene would be Tim Burton’s 1989 Batman..the music, and the art direction just make the movie scream in a good way.