My Publisher is Closing its Doors

As of May 31st, my publisher will no longer exist and my books will be pulled from all sales channels. To say this was a complete shock would be a lie as I predicted this would happen which is why I ended up self-publishing my latest novel, Soul Reapers (which won’t be affected by the closing of Booktrope). But what I didn’t expect was it to happen so suddenly (barely a month’s notice for everyone) and for the logistical and legal nightmare that would ensue.

Rights revert back to me as of June 1st but that doesn’t mean that I can immediately put my books back up for sale. My biggest issue is finding the money to re-purchase the licenses to the stock photos used in my covers, pay editors and proofers. Luckily for me, my team has been more than gracious and understanding. They realize no one asked for this and that if I had many thousands of dollars at  my disposal, I wouldn’t have a need to go with a publisher; I could have hired the people needed to get my books out there. But unfortunately, I don’t have a ton of disposable income, especially in the summer (the one minor pitfall of being a college professor).

So what does this mean?? It means that my books will absolutely be back out there. My scifi series, The Portals of Destiny,  will even be getting a make-over which I am very excited about! The Alexis books and Organ Reapers will be available as soon as I can purchase the licenses for the stock photos which should hopefully be soon.

The one bad bit of news is that I won’t be doing paperbacks.  It’s just not cost effective for me. I only sell a few copies to family and since I have to do print-on-demand and can’t afford to order 5000 copies, the cost per book is prohibitive. Most people won’t pay $16 + shipping for a paperback. If I could do them for $10, that would be best but unfortunately, print-on-demand doesn’t allow that low of a price unless you order in bulk.

This is just a tiny bump in the road and my books will be back up and running before you know it. And I’ll be self-publishing everything from now on and avoiding publishers like the plague. If my publisher can shut down then so can others and I don’t want to go through this hassle again. Best just to do things on my own.

10 Comments on “My Publisher is Closing its Doors”

1. jamiewauthor May 25, 2016 at 11:08 am #

If you want to do print, create space is the place to go. There are NO upfront costs, other than purchasing one cheap proof (although, you technically don’t even have to do that.)

Good luck getting everything back up. I, too, have decided that self-pub is the most logical choice.

• drshaywest May 25, 2016 at 12:57 pm #

I’ve done Createspace in the past but it’s still more expensive to do paperback covers plus I don’t sell paperbacks as they are so expensive. There’s a limit as to how low you can go on price

• jamiewauthor May 26, 2016 at 1:01 pm #

True, it depends mostly on size. It’s still a good alternative for if you decide you want to have one. I have mine for The Life and Times, and haven’t bought one in ages, but it’s relatively cheap to purchase a copy or two if I want to have one for a author event or something.

2. cpbialois May 25, 2016 at 11:13 am #

We’re here if you need any help. 🙂

3. blazemcrob May 25, 2016 at 11:35 am #

You have many friends and readers who will be happy to spread the word when you do get to self-publish your books. It’s a shame your publisher went out of business, but more and more are doing so. All the more reason to self-publish.

My wife and I self-publish our books and it works out well. We have an advantage in that we are also both editors. So we edit each others books. My wife does the covers and formatting and I handle marketing.

Your decision to go with only ebooks is a good one. That’s where the money is anyway. Paperbacks are pretty much handy for book signings and not much else.

Take whatever time you need to do things right, to produce books you are proud of. You always have. Now, it will reflect even more that your mastery at the craft is because of you. You have the control.

Blaze

• drshaywest May 25, 2016 at 12:57 pm #

You are Terri are the best!!!!! ❤

• blazemcrob May 25, 2016 at 7:44 pm #

Thank you, Shay! We think you’re pretty special. 😀

Blaze

4. violafury May 25, 2016 at 3:04 pm #

This is rather what I thought, as I’ve started to be bombarded by “publishers” I’ve never heard of. After talking to Jemima Pett, who publishes all of her own books and does a bang-up job, I decided I didn’t want to risk it. It seems these publishers are either ‘fly-by-night’, or like “Raul Bloodworth” in the X-Files ep of “The Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man”, he finally manages to sell a “Jack Colquitt” story to a men’s magazine, which is then heavily edited upon publication, to the Cigarette Smoking Man’s dismay.

Although this is fiction, I’ve heard many real-life stories about what publishers do to new, first-time and even well-established authors, so, like you, I’m tempted to just go ahead and publish my own books, whenever that may be. Thanks, Dr. Shay! ❤